Wednesday, September 8, 2010

DIY Onesies

My cousin's son just turned one and his birthday party was this past weekend.

I love buying gifts for people.  But, buying gifts for a one year old who has everything can be very difficult.

We had been to another one year old's birthday party the weekend before -- one on Phil's side.  Phil picked him out a cute toy and we were all set.  By the time we got to the party, the gifts were piling up.

And every single one of them was some kind of toy.  There were even multiples of some toys. 

So, for this party I felt like I should do something different... babies need clothes too, right?  And for inspiration, I headed into blogland (of course).




My original idea was to make an iron-on canvas tote, like the one above on Imperfect, and then fill it with iron-on onesies.  However, my attempt to make the tote completely failed... it was all very ugly and very frustrating.  Enough said.  Moving on...

I was really excited about the way the onesies turned out, however.  And they were super simple.






I created each graphic using Word and Paint.  I found a lot of free clipart images online and copy and pasted them into Word.

Then printed a mirror image of each graphic onto fabric transfer paper.


Then, I ironed each graphic onto a onesie.  After reviewing the fabric transfer product online, I found that a lot of people said to use a pillowcase between the iron and the transfer paper for a crisper image transfer.  It worked really well for me.

1 comment:

  1. I love this Rachel! Too cute :-) I cannot wait to make some for Mila and for gifts. I will be sure to post pics when I make them!

    ReplyDelete